A Familiar Aesthetic

 

Joseph Zink posted on Friends of Photoblog asking who we were all inspired by, in the world of photography. My immediate response was Toshio Shibata so I put together this post with a selection of my work from 2010 before I was acquainted with his work. 

If you have already checked out his work you may understand why I appreciated it so much when I saw this review of it in The Guardian in 2015.

I don't claim that my work is on a par with his or even similar but it was the aesthetic that appealed to me in relation to my own work. 

















































Comments

  1. Loved the lines in #1 and #2 and the textures in #15. Shibata has that clear, precise vision of a civil engineer - I really like his work. Thanks for bringing him to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Japan too so that was also part of the attraction.

      Delete
  2. Looking at his work and then looking at your work, I say you stand right next to him...I find your photos to be on par with his. I could go down the list of each photo on this post that tell you what it is about each that I truly love, but then this comment would get too long. I've said it before, you have an eye for seeing the beauty in the most mundane stuff. Thanks for sharing this photographer's name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I don't think he is that well known, not as he should be anyway.

      Delete
  3. These are really impressive, Gethin! You're very versatile, with artistic shots like these plus the more documentary features like the Cornwall sets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, This was more representative of my stuff going back 2 or 3 years. I seem to have drifted more into the documentary as you call it since going on Photoblog where there was more room for a story.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts